Monday, March 13, 2017

Night

  One major change about Elie is when he became a bystander when his father was getting hit. In the passage it states that , “I did not move. What had happened to me? My father had just been struck, before my very eyes, and I had not flickered an eyelid” ( Wiesel 37). In the end Elie’s father has given up but Elie couldn't help but help his father and give him courage so that he can move on. Elie also couldn't resist to help his father because he saw the pain that his father was going through so he gave his father the courage to keep on moving. According to the book Night , “Father!’ I screamed. ‘Father! Get up from here! Immediately! You're killing yourself. . . .’ I seized him by the arm” ( Wiesel 100). I chose this first event from the book because in the first quote it shows Elie not trying hard enough or not giving his all to help his father out or giving it his all when his father was being hit by other men. In the second event it shows Elie helping his father to live and encourage him to keep on going.

One other major event that happened in the book, Night is when Elie is at rock bottom and he says that God is gone and will never come back. According to the book Night it's states that, “Never shall I forget those flames which consumed my faith forever. Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul…” (Wiesel 32). I chose this quote from the book because it shows that Elie does not have Faith in himself nor have Faith to God. In the book Night it states that, “Thank God! You're still alive” (Wiesel 33). I picked this quote because it shows Elie changing his belief and his faith in God.

I chose these events from the book because it shows how Elie is changing his faith and belief in God. In the beginning of the book Elie has not seen the other side that is waiting for him and torture he will see and face through. When he reaches to that torture he starts to lose his faith and trust in god. Little by little he starts to regain that trust and faith he used to have, from the torture and what he had been through during the holocaust he took part in. In the first paragraph I chose those two events from the book, Night because it shows how Elie is being a bystander and watching his own father being tortured and hit by another man, while Elie is doing nothing about it and also even cry for his father. But in the other quote it shows that Elie is helping his father and wants him to live, also giving his father courage to move on.

I





Wiesel, Elie. Night. New York: Bantam` , 1982





No comments:

Post a Comment